About This Course
CSTI 24 Hour Hazardous Materials Technician Training (Classroom Version) course is designed for firefighters, private industry emergency responders, military personnel, and government employees who participate or plan to participate in Hazmat Teams, such as Spill Response Teams or Emergency Response Teams.
Hazardous Materials Technicians are required to be trained in accordance with section (q) of the HAZWOPER regulation, and also must have annual refresher training of sufficient content and duration to maintain responder competencies. This HAZMAT Technician course complies with the First Responders Operations training requirements under Fed-OSHA, Cal-OSHA, and NFPA 472.
First Responder Operations is a prerequisite for this training course. We offer the prerequisite course both online and in the classroom.
For more information on HAZMAT Technician training requirements or the HAZMAT Tech courses we offer, visit our HAZMAT Technician Training page.
Course Format & Length
This course is taught by a CSTI certified outreach instructor and includes up-to-date, high quality training created with your safety and learning as our top priority.
Currently, we only offer this HAZMAT Technician training course through a classroom training format. You can enroll in the Hazardous material training classes offered at our facilities through open enrollment. This course is typically scheduled during a 3 day period for 8 hours per day. The training will take a minimum of 24 hours to complete. View classroom training schedule.
We can also provide this training on-site at your location when hosted by your employer. Request a quote for onsite training.
Discounts Available for Multiple Student Enrollment.
The CSTI 24 Hour Hazardous Materials Technician Training classroom course will cover the following topics:
- Regulatory Overview
- Emergency Response Planning and Incident Command System
- Site Control and Accepted Safety Practices
- Medical Surveillance Program
- Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment
- Risk Assessment and Reference Source Exercise
- Respiratory Protection (Lecture, Demonstration, and Practice)
- Hazardous Materials Confined Space Considerations
- Rescue Considerations
- Chemical Protective Clothing (Lecture, Demonstration, and Practice)
- Monitoring/Detecting Equipment (Lecture, Demonstration, and Practice)
- Decontamination (Lecture, Demonstration, and Practice)
- Site Safety Plans (Lecture, Demonstration, and Practice)
- Hazardous Materials Offensive and Defensive Control Options
- Incident Termination
- Functional Exercise
- Final Exam/Course Evaluation
24 Hour Hazardous Materials Technician Certification
Once the course is completed successfully, you will be given access to download, save or print a temporary Course Completion Certificate which is provided in PDF format. You will also be issued a state certificate from California Specialized Training Institute (CSTI)/California Emergency Management Agency (CalEMA).
The final certificate takes up to 3 weeks for delivery. Training certification will be granted under California Government Code Section 8574.19-23 and California Code of Regulations Title 19, Sections 2510-2560.